Saturday, October 15, 2011

NYCC 2011













I had a great time at the 2011 NYCC, thanks in part to Sidekick Lab, who offered me table space (more on that later). Like last year, Titan ended up being my first stop and I purchased 20 pounds of books that I had to carry around for the next 3 hours. :) As a result, I didn't take a ton of pictures (I took plenty of touristy Times Square related photos which I'll post later.)

The show itself seems to get bigger every year, this year the Autograph Area is separate from the convention floor/artist alley so I never did see it (although most publishers are having author signings at their convention floor booths). Besides the new layout, there were some new vendors such as Hasbro. Hasbro had several "photo op" areas similar to what they do at SDCC and they had some show exclusives as well.

After my initial purchase I sent over to the Animal Planet booth where they where having a happy hour (free beer!) on Thursday evening to promote their searching for Bigfoot series. The series looks interesting and the beer was good. :) Next to them was a video game company where you could have your photo taken kicking some type of plane (has to do with a video game, sorry I can't remember the name). They'd print the photo out for you which was pretty cool.

The Doctor Who store had a life sized Dalek on display (picture below) and they are going to have the actor who played Winston Churchill signing at their booth during the weekend. Other neat props on the convention floor included the Sesame Street booth where you could have your picture taken with Oscar the Grouch. Grover will also be there on Saturday.

My final stop for the evening was at the Sidekick booth where they partned with Onell Design to set up a table where different artists will appear during the weekend. They were set up in "The Cultyard" section of NYCC, which is where a lot of the cool custom toy designers were setup and hanging out. I met The Sucklord (you can google him yourself, or go to Bravo and see some video of him from their art-reality show) and I sold some of my art for a half hour I was there on Thursday. When I wasn't talking to customers/fans I had a great time talking to Tom at Sidekick about the new Suckpax trading card series which was just released. One of the neat inserts is a 9 card lenticular puzzle set. Unlike most puzzle card sets, these are actually card shaped puzzle pieces. I thought it was a cool twist on the whole "puzzle card" idea.

Here are a few of my photos from the show.


Full-sized, uncut version of the lenticular puzzle cards from the new Sucklord trading card series

Big Avengers display.
Selection of funny hats

No comments:

Post a Comment